Who are we?
Monash Children’s provides a dedicated and comprehensive paediatric diagnostic imaging service to the children of the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Consultant radiologists lead a team of caring medical and allied health professionals (Medical Imaging Technologists, Sonographers, Nurses and Play Therapists) who have extensive experience in paediatric imaging.
We offer a comprehensive range of imaging services including:
• plain x-ray ( including OPG)
• ultrasound (including Doppler ultrasound)
• nuclear medicine and DEXA
• angiography and interventional procedures
This service is provided within Southern Health Diagnostic Imaging at Monash Medical Centre, Clayton and Moorabbin, Dandenong and Casey Hospitals.
Locations and contact numbers
Monash Medical Centre - Clayton:
• General X Ray and Fluoroscopy - P: (03) 9594 2200
• CT - P: (03) 9594 2198
• MRI - P: (03) 9594 2010
• Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine and DEXA - P: (03) 9594 2233
• General X Ray, CT, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine - P: (03) 9554 8175
• MRI - P: (03) 9554 8684
• General X Ray, CT, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine - P: (03) 8768 1279
Opening hours ( site dependent ) for outpatients
• General X Ray, CT, Ultrasound, Nuclear Medicine 8.30 am – 5.00 pm
• MRI 7.30 am – 9.30 pm
How do patients prepare for imaging?
• patients must have a request form provided by their doctor. Southern Health and Monash Children’s accept other referrers' request forms
• patients will receive more detailed preparation instructions at the time of booking
• patients must inform the booking clerk if :
- they weigh more than 150 kgs
- they have a contagious infection so that we can schedule an appropriate time and waiting area
- they are pregnant or breast-feeding.
• Your child may require procedure preparation with our play therapy service or general anaesthesia, especially for MRI, and this will be arranged at the time of your booking
Modality specific information and instructions
The common paediatric imaging procedures include:
• Plain X-Ray
• Fluoroscopy: Barium Meal and Micturating Cystouterthrogram (MCU)
• Ultrasound: Kidney, Abdomen and Hip
• Nuclear Medicine
• CT (Computerised Tomography)
• MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
For information about your child’s procedure follow this link to the appropriate Inside Radiology webpage of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiology.
Paediatric Imaging Fellowship
A Paediatric Imaging Fellowship at Monash Children’s is available for radiologists interested in further general or subspecialty training in paediatric imaging. Research and teaching is encouraged. Candidates must be eligible to register with the Medical Practitioners Board of Victoria and have completed their general radiology training.
For fellowship enquiries contact Professor Michael Ditchfield on firstname.lastname@example.org